About History Matters
- How do I subscribe?
- Fill out the form at https://www.history-matters.co.uk/hm-signup.php. Upon completion of the order, your school will be issued with a school username and password via email, along with instructions for logging in. These details can be used by anyone at the school to access History Matters.
- How much does it cost?
- £80 + VAT for 1 year subscription.
- What do we get?
- History Matters is designed to give teachers and students a resource that can be accessed at school and at home. The main features of the product are bookshelves of ebooks, interactive presentations and timelines, which are designed so that they can be viewed clearly on interactive whiteboards or read on smaller screens. The books cover the main course material, but also included are several fiction novels related to the subject and factual accounts, organised into bookshelves and further arranged by topic. Flashcards provide supplementary resources, ideal for use at the front of class or to provide a concise overview or for revision by students. Currently, the suite covers the First World War plus Saxons, Vikings and Normans but full resources will be released soon for the Romans and the Tudors. The subscription covers all resources, including new topics as and when they become available.
- Is there a restriction on usage?
- Staff, pupils and stakeholders of the school can access the website or App at any time for school business.
- That little to get that much?
- What are the requirements to use the product?
- What are the recommended browsers?
- Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari (on OSX/MacOS) and Microsoft Edge (Windows 10). History Matters has been tested on Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and above, and while it is possible to use the site, the recommended browsers provide a superior experience.
- What about mobile devices?
- Apps are now available for iOS and Android (coming soon to Amazon App store). The Android app works on more than 13,000 different types of devices - tablets and phones. The iOS app works on all iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches running iOS version 6.0 or higher. While some of the navigation and interfaces may differ slightly, the Apps allow access to all of the resources and content, in a fully interactive way and with all of the same functionality as the website. The Apps work on all screen sizes. Text is vector (which means that it is sharp at all sizes and magnifications), so a 4-inch screen size is a usable minimum but a 5-inch screen size or greater is recommended so that books can be read comfortably without magnification in double-page mode. Additionally, content can be downloaded and stored on a device so that it can be used for 7 days without needing to log in again.
Download the iOS App (for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch):
Download the App for Android (phones, tablets and supported Chromebooks)*:
- Does History Matters work on mobile browsers?
- All of the content on the site is created with our MasterClass authoring tools, which means that it is all capable of being delivered with HTML(5)-based players. We have taken an approach of providing the best experience, regardless of delivery mechanism. In this case, the App is a superior experience on mobile, and Flash on desktop. However, timelines are delivered in HTML, with a fallback to Flash on old browsers.
- History Matters is supported by A*Star Education Ltd on all desktop editions of Windows 10. History Matters is supported on the Microsoft Edge browser.
* Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.